Fast Facts About Astrology
- One-third of Americans believe in astrology (USA Today
6/20/00), with the fastest growing segment among executives and
professionals (USA Today, 1996).
- According to The Harris Poll, nearly 41 percent of adult Americans
believe in astrology (The Harris Poll, #52 9/13/00).
- An eight year, worldwide study by Roper Starch reported a 30
percent increase in the belief in astrology (USA Today,
- In 1976, 17 percent of Americans believed in astrology. In 1998
that number jumped to 37 percent (biz.journals.com, 3/3/00).
- 75 percent of astrology consumers are women (StarIQ registrants).
- An estimated 80 percent of women make most of the household
purchasing decisions (Harris Interactive 2000).
- Americans spend $100 million on astrology each year (Business
- An estimated 38 million people spend approximately $44 billion
annually on new age products and services including astrology
(New Age Cities, 12/00).
- There are 6,0008,000 professional astrology practitioners
in the United States (based on membership to the National Council
for Geocosmic Research, NCGR).
- A growing academic community of psychologists, statisticians,
stock market analysts and professional astrologers effectively
uses individually calculated astrological data for purposes beyond
diversion (based on membership lists from the International Society
for Astrological Research and NCGR).
- Astrology products are unique because they cut across normal
demographic lines. Research indicates that astrology users span
the spectrum from blue-collar National Enquirer readers
on one end, to white-collar Psychology Today readers
on the other.
Astrology and the Internet
- "Astrology" and "horoscope" are consistently among the most
searched topics on the Internet (searchterms.com, 1999).
- Astrology provides completely personalized information that
can be created and delivered electronically at any frequency (hourly,
daily, weekly, etc.).
- Astrology allows for vertical market application and the creation
of specific subject matter to target audiences.
- A simple search for "astrology OR horoscope" on AltaVista returns
over three million web pages (AltaVista).
- Time Inc.'s Pathfinder.com reported that "astrology" was the
fifth most searched and "horoscope" the seventh most searched
word on the site (Time.com, 6/19/98).