NewsScope for May 30, 2006
Neptune Brings Constitutional Crisis
On May 20, an unprecedented FBI raid on a congressman's private office triggered an extraordinary chain of events that is leading to a constitutional crisis. The Republican and Democratic leaders of the House of Congress demanded that materials seized be returned, while the top three leaders of the Justice Department—including the head of the FBI—all said they would resign if forced to comply.
Astrologically, the unfolding constitutional crisis began when Neptune turned retrograde last week. Neptune , naturally associated with scandals, was the dominant vibration in many headlined stories, most noticeably in the guilty verdicts against Enron executives, but also in the FBI's bribery and corruption investigation against Congressman William Jefferson, whose office they raided and where they found $90,000 stored in a freezer.
Neptune 's station took place at 19º49' Aquarius, where it formed an exact square to the U.S. Vesta, located at 19º43 Taurus. Vesta is often symbolically representative of investments, and this is especially true in the U.S. chart since Vesta is in the money-savvy sign of Taurus. When Vesta is linked to Neptune , the money is tainted, as in both the Enron scandal and in Congressman Jefferson's freezer.
President Bush sealed the seized evidence for 45 days to let the executive and congressional branches work out their differences. This puts the resolution phase into next month when some of the most challenging planetary dynamics are in play (see below), including transiting Saturn square the U.S. Ascendant. In early July, transiting Jupiter turns direct right on the U.S. Scorpio Ascendant, when we might expect some justice to be rendered.
Top Five Astro-Events for June
1. Mars enters Leo on June 3, and from this day through its conjunction with Saturn on June 18, Mars is exceptionally powerful in the U.S. due to its square to the Scorpio Ascendant. As the conjunction with Saturn approaches, conflict at all levels increases, leading to momentous events in mid-month.
2. Saturn square U.S. Scorpio Ascendant - is exact on June 16, but close enough all month to shape geopolitical developments across the global village. Saturn brings serious and historic political considerations. In the U.S. Ninth House Saturn will likely bring important legal proceedings, indictments, and decisions, especially from the Supreme Court and following criminal investigations in Washington .
3. Uranus turns retrograde on June 19 at 14º43 Pisces, in a close quincunx to the U.S. Saturn (orb 0º05'). American institutions that have grown corrupt or complacent are due for some nasty surprises. With the U.S. Saturn in diplomatic Libra, foreign policy will likely be in crisis mode, reacting to international developments.
4. Saturn opposite Chiron - is exact on June 20, but a strong influence through most of June. Chiron in Aquarius can be seen as the outsider (Chiron) who wants equal rights (Aquarius), as personified by the 12 million illegal immigrants from Mexico . Watch for big developments in their status as judgmental Saturn sets limits.
5. Jupiter squares Saturn on June 22, completing a T-square with Chiron. With Mars also in the area, this becomes a dramatic, event-filled configuration, especially regarding U.S. politics (involving the U.S. Ascendant). Economic, geological, and military shifts can also be expected, beginning around June 14 when transiting Sun and Pluto are in opposition.
Angelina and Brad Relocated to Namibia
On May 27, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie gave birth to their first child together in Namibia , where they have been shielded from the paparazzi by their own bodyguards and the Namibian police. Photographers must have written permission from the couple to enter the country and a work permit from the Namibian government, but so far, no pictures of the new baby, Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt, have been released.
Relocating Angelina Jolie's horoscope (June 4, 1975; 9:09 am; Los Angeles) to Walvis Bay , Namibia puts her natal Neptune right on her Ascendant, giving her all the privacy she could want. Neptune also governs the seas, and the Hollywood stars are staying at a sleepy coastal resort. She gave birth as transiting Ceres*, the parenting asteroid, entered her relocated Fourth House.
Though she is isolated, Angelina's status and reputation are tremendously enhanced in Namibia at this time, since her progressed Venus is exactly conjunct her relocated Leo Midheaven. Venus here gets treated like royalty, and allows her celebrity power to wow the locals, as well as increase the international profile of Namibia 's natural scenery and wildlife.
Relocating Brad Pitt's chart (December 18, 1963; 6:31 am; Shawnee, OK) to Walvis Bay puts his four Capricorn planets in a cluster around the Midheaven. Paternalistic Capricorn feels in charge here, and he undoubtedly played a major role in enlisting the Namibian government to protect their privacy. His relocated Sun is in the Ninth House of foreign places, and is now being activated by a conjunction with life-transforming Pluto.
*For more on Ceres as an indicator for parenting, you can read this excerpt from my book Political Astrology, which also includes a section on the role of Ceres in Angelina Jolie's natal horoscope.